We are now accepting submissions for our 11th Annual Best of the Northwest! After hosting the competition for 10 years, we thought it time to do a deep dive into the competition process and give it a refresh based on learned experiences and feedback from producers and judges. So NEW this year:
- A Best of the Northwest digital issue will be created for each specific beverage category and released within 30 days of the competition to our 40,000 followers and opt-in subscribers.. So …. no more waiting months to find out the results. Additionally, the quicker turn should allow for product inventory to be more readily available for Sip Magazine readers to try.
- Tasting Notes will be provided for each product submitted; this will give you feedback from the judging team that blindly tasted your product.
As in previous years, all submissions will be tasted blind, by a panel of the Northwest’s top palates made up of cicerones, beverage directors/buyers, beer writers, producers, bottle shop owners and beer industry professionals. The top four from each category will be awarded Platinum, Double gold, Gold or Silver. The larger categories will have Judges’ Picks which are the next highest-ranking beverages after the four medalists. At the end of the competition readers will gain further insight to the Pacific Northwest craft beverage scene and an expertly curated shopping list of what to drink for the next year.
To submit beers to the 2022 Best of the NW, please follow the rules below:
1. Cost of entry is $55 for each individual product submission. Payment is accepted via credit card by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser*), as well as by check via mail to 1335 N. Northlake Way, Suite 101, Seattle, WA 98103. All applicable submission fees must be paid in full by Friday, August 12th to be entered in the judging.
2. Please submit your beer by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser**). The submission will not be entered in the judging unless the online form is completed.
3. Send four (4) samples of each submission for 500ml or less, two (2) samples for 19oz, 22oz or 750ml bottles or one (1) 64 oz growler.
4. List the price of the product based on suggested retail price for the full unit, before taxes. As in, if this beer only comes in 6-packs or draft, please provide that price.
5. All products must be produced in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana or British Columbia.
6. Submission & product delivery deadline is Friday, August 12 2022.
*** JUDGING will take place at the end of August.
Note: if you do not currently package your product and will be sending a growler, please email Melissa Miller at email@example.com to coordinate.
*Credit card payment link: https://sipmagazine.com/product/2022-beer-submission/
**Submission form link: https://forms.gle/3FXK1m65Zmw1azRe9
In following the definitions by the Brewers Association,
THE CATEGORIES* ARE:
Amber / Red Ale
Golden or Blonde Ale
Other Light Ales – *New Category
Imperial Stout – *New Category
Coffee / Chocolate Beer: *New Category
Wood & Barrel Aged Beer
Wood & Barrel-Aged Sour Beer
Fruited Sour Ale
Brett Beer: *New Category
Mixed Culture Beer: *New Category
American-Style Pale Ale
Juicy or Hazy Pale Ale
American-Style India Pale Ale – Mainstay / Year-Round Offering
American-Style India Pale Ale – One Offs
Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale – Mainstay / Year-Round Offering
American-Style Imperial or Double India Pale Ale
Juicy or Hazy Imperial or Double India Pale Ale
Gluten Free Beer
Non-Alcoholic Beer – *New Category
*Though unlikely for most, all categories are subject to change if submissions are too low or too high. In the case of lower submissions, beer would be merged into an appropriately fitting category; for higher submissions, a category of its own would be created. Additionally, beers submitted into the wrong category will be moved to the correct category.
1) Carefully package all glass-format beers, especially growlers, as shipping companies are not always gentle.
2) Please do not use packing peanuts or popcorn.
3) Ship all entries to the following address:
Sip Magazine c/o Seattle Wine Storage
ATTN: Best of Beer
9401 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103
For personal delivery, please email Melissa Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sip Magazine is an award-winning publication covering the wine, beer, spirits and cider of the Pacific Northwest and beyond.