We are now accepting submissions for our ninth annual Best of the Northwest issue! Out in November, this issue will feature the top picks for wine, beer, spirits and cider the region has to offer. The top four winning submissions of each category will be awarded medals and the issue will also cover industry leaders, trends, travel and products.
The beverages will be tasted blind, with a panel comprised of the Northwest’s top palates, judges and professionals, whose verdict we will relay onto the pages of the issue. Our goal is to provide our readers with unique and original content pertaining to the best of Northwest beverages and create an overall greater consumer awareness and appreciation of our area’s liquid assets.
To submit ciders to the 2020 Best of the NW, please use the below rules for entry:
1) Cost of entry is $45 for each individual product submission. Payment is accepted via credit card by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser*), as well as by check via mail to 1333 N. Northlake Way, Suite E, Seattle, WA 98103. All applicable submission fees must be paid in full by Thursday, August 20 to be entered in the judging.
2) Please fill out the linked submission form by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser**). Each form provides for up to five (5) submissions. If you are submitting more than five (5) products, submit one form and start a second (or third) until you are finished. The submission will not be entered in the judging if the form is not included.
3) For 750-milliliter bottles, send three (3) samples each. For 64-ounce growlers, send one (1) sample each. For everything else, send four (4) samples of each.
4) List the price of the product based on suggested retail price before taxes. For example, if the cider you are submitting comes in 4-packs, please provide that price.
5) All products must be produced in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana or British Columbia.
6) Submission receiving deadline is Thursday, August 20.
Note: if you do not currently package your product and will be sending a growler, please email Melissa Miller at email@example.com to coordinate.
*Credit card payment link: https://sipmagazine.com/product/cider-submission/
**Submission form link: https://forms.gle/bEtYwxmdyuiQt8Nv9
THE CATEGORIES* ARE:
- Fruit-infused (pear, berries, citrus, pineapple, etc.)
- Heritage (mostly cider-specific or heirloom apples, slow fermentation production, typically 3+ months)
- Modern (mostly culinary apples, fast fermentation production, typically 1 month or less)
- Natural (sidra, sidra-style, wild-ferment, no adjuncts) — NEW CATEGORY
- Perry (100% fermented pear, can be labeled as pear cider as long as it is all pear juice)
- Rosé (pink/rose-colored from apple flesh, skin or additional fruit) — NEW CATEGORY
- Single varietal (must be 80% varietal)
- Specialty (ginger, squash, coffee, rhubarb, pepper, etc.)
- Spiced/Botanical (spices, herbs, tea, etc.)
- Stone fruit-infused (plum, apricot, cherries, mangoes, etc.)
- Wood-aged (cider aged with wood and/or oak)
*Though unlikely for most, all categories are subject to change if submissions are too low or too high. In the case of lower submissions, cider would be merged into an appropriately fitting category; for higher submissions, a category of its own would be created.
1) Carefully package all glass-format ciders, especially growlers, as shipping companies are not always gentle.
2) Please do not use packing peanuts or popcorn.
3) Ship all entries to the following address:
Sip Magazine c/o Seattle Wine Storage
ATTN: Best of Cider
9401 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103
For personal delivery, please email Melissa Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sip Magazine is an award-winning publication covering the wine, beer, spirits and cider of the Pacific Northwest and now all over the globe at SipMagazine.com. Please join us in finding the best of the year to highlight and showcase in this issue. Thank you!