We are now accepting submissions for our ninth annual Best of the Northwest issue! Out in November, this issue will feature the top picks for wine, beer, spirits and cider the region has to offer. The top four winning submissions of each category will be awarded medals and the issue will also cover industry leaders, trends, travel and products.
The beverages will be tasted blind, with a panel comprised of the Northwest’s top palates, judges and professionals, whose verdict we will relay onto the pages of the issue. Our goal is to provide our readers with unique and original content pertaining to the best of Northwest beverages and create an overall greater consumer awareness and appreciation of our area’s liquid assets.
To submit wines to the 2020 Best of the NW, please use the below rules for entry:
- Cost of entry is $65 USD for each individual product submission. Payment is accepted by credit card when submitting or by check via mail to 1333 N. Northlake Way, Suite E, Seattle, WA 98103. All applicable submission fees must be paid in full by Friday, September 4 to be entered in the judging.
- Please fill out the submission form HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser*) through Enofile. If paying with a credit card, you will pay here. The submission will not be entered in the judging unless the Enofile form is completed.
- Send three (3) samples of each submission of 750ml or four (4) samples of each submission of 500ml or less. For dessert wines, send two (2) samples of each.
- List the price of the product based on suggested retail price before taxes.
- The product must be currently available in the calendar year of 2020 or by February 1st of 2021.
- All products must be produced in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana or British Columbia with fruit grown in one of those regions/states.
- Submission receiving deadline is Friday, September 4.
NOTE: If you are submitting through the BCWI Consolidation Program, please reach out specifically to them for submission requirements and deadlines. Details HERE.
*Payment and submission link: https://enofileonline.com/landing.aspx?competitionID=2724
THE CATEGORIES* ARE:
Red Blend – Bordeaux-style (a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot and/or Carménère)
Red Blend – Proprietary (a blend that uses red varieties that originated from all over, “a kitchen sink” blend)
Red Blend – Rhone-style (a blend of the red grapes of Rhone Valley origin; Syrah, Mourvèdre, Grenache, Counoise, etc.)
Red Single Varietal (Grenache, Petit Verdot, Gamay Noir, etc.)
Chardonnay — Oaked
Chardonnay — Unoaked
Dry/Off-dry Riesling (9 g/l to 39 g/l)
Orange wines (extended skin-contact)
Sweet Riesling (40 g/l and higher)
White Single Varietal (Semillon, Grüner Veltliner, Chenin Blanc, Marsanne, Roussanne, etc.)
Rosé (2019 vintage only, must be released by October 2020)
Canned Wines — NEW CATEGORY
All types (white, red, sparkling, rose)
All types (including fortified/Port-style, late harvest, ice wine, etc.)
Non-Grape Wines — NEW CATEGORY
All types including fruit wine and honey wine/mead
*Though unlikely for most, all categories are subject to change if submissions are too low or too high. In the case of lower submissions, wines would be merged into an appropriately fitting category; for higher submissions, a category of its own would be created.
1) Carefully package all glass-format products, as shipping companies are not always gentle.
2) Please do not use packing peanuts or popcorn.
3) Ship all entries to the following address:
Sip Magazine c/o Seattle Wine Storage
ATTN: Best of Wine
9401 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103
For in-person delivery, submissions are accepted at the above address between 12-6pm daily.
Sip Magazine is an award-winning publication covering the wine, beer, spirits and cider of the Pacific Northwest and now all over the globe at SipMagazine.com. Please join us in finding the best of the year to highlight and showcase in this issue. Thank you!